data load ...
Opposite the island of Elba, surrounded by a crystal-clear sea, you will be enchanted by this part of Tuscany, " la Maremma ", by the magnificence of its natural setting and by the warm welcome extended by its inhabitants.
This is the other face of Tuscany, more natural and wilder, than the areas around Florence and Siena.
La Maremma is one of the most fascinating areas in Tuscany, with an imposing and wild aspect, very different from the stunning landscapes of the other Tuscany. The land is a colourful one, gentle and fierce at one and the same time : dense forests of beech trees and oaks alternate with olive trees, vines and fields of wheat and sunflowers.
The coastline is also very varied : long, sandy beaches, forests stretching right down to the sea, rocks, falling steeply into the sea and islands that are intact. From theses spots with their impressive landscapes, the visitor finds himself confronted with the unexpected sight of medieval towns, fortresses, powerful strongholds, ancient cathedrals and monasteries.
In Scarlino itself:
- Fortified walls, built in the 11th century and restored in the 13th century
- Rocca Aldobrandesca ("Aldobrandeschi Castle"), including an angular and a round towers, plus stone defensive walls
- Church and convent of San Donato, in Romanesque style
- Oratory of Santa Croce, with Renaissance frescoes
- Church of San Martino (14th century).
- Convent of Monte Muro
Places to visit:
- Siena (88 kms)
- Follonica (20 kms)
- Massa Marittima (12 kms)
- Piombino (boat journey to the island of Elba 43 kms)
- Grosseto (44 kms)